Saturday, November 5, 2011

Off to a wedding

I am going to the wedding of a dear friend's son today in Newnan GA. I am going by myself even though I could probably have hitched a ride with some other friends. One of the reasons I am going by myself is because I wanted the luxury of stopping and shopping if the urge hit me (and if I'm on time).

The other reason is I'm carrying a few items to give to a young couple who recently moved to TN. The husband is in the wedding and they left a few things that I could transport to them since they won't be coming home on this trip.

My trip is with a little trepidation. I have three friends who love to take off on solo trips. One loves to drive; one loves to get away; one loves to travel. They are such brave souls! I, on the other hand, think about the 18-wheelers getting too close to me; about that spooked doe who is being pursued and frightened by absolutely nothing running into my car; about the tire that might decide it's had enough fun on the road today (I don't like to change tires); or about getting lost (what if my directions lead me the wrong way - I don't have GPS).

The kids had a favorite book growing up, "The Very Worried Sparrow." This little sparrow was afraid of everything. His favorite expression was, "Meep, meep, oh, dear." A dove (symbolic of the Holy Spirit) encouraged him to trust the Heavenly Father. In the end, he does and his life is so much happier.

That's me - so often - the very worried Danna. I do not want fear to interfere with me having a great time today. I know I am supposed to be at this wedding to lend my support and encouragement to this young couple. So I too will trust my Heavenly Father to get me there and back.

This trust has got to be deeper than just for a trip to a wedding though. We live in very troubled times that have made a few of us very worried sparrows. But our God is Faithful and He is Trustworthy. Here is His promise to all of His children, "Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows." Matthew 10:31

I want to walk in this faith-filled promise that He will take care of me! Oh, and to my brave friends, I long for your spirit of adventure as well! Maybe one day, I'll be soaring with you gals!

4 comments:

  1. Hope you have a great trip today! I've been wanting to read The Very Worried Sparrow lately. It's such a great book!
    And congratulations on starting a blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave! :-) Hope you have a good time...I know you will be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this makes me happy that you are traveling because it means you can come see me more. Yes, I am selfish in my motive for you to hit the road!

    I hope you have a lovely day.

    Now... on to Saige's blog just to see if she's posted anything new!

    Love you,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know who one of those brave souls is! I'm glad that the trip went well :)

    ReplyDelete